Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Designated Learning Time: "Blackfish"

SeaWorld is bad? Shocker!



      Every now and again I have something to say about a movie that I don't really want to get into for one reason or another. Documentaries are one such type of film, simply because documentaries are fairly hard to review. But, I still do want to give them a fair look at and share my thoughts on them. So here with Designated Learning Time, I'll do just that and give a documentary a shorter than normal review or full review depending on how I see fit. Kicking things off is Blackfish, a documentary from earlier this year directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite told the story of Tilikum, a killer whale who has killed three trainers both in and out of SeaWorld and how poorly SeaWorld handles similar tragedies. 
      Blackfish is not a film to mince words about. Blackfish is a deeply powerful, utterly fantastic documentary that is easily one of the best films of 2013. I don't know if I've ever been as attached to the subject of a documentary as I was to Tilikum and his fellow whales. You really feel for the whales in captivity, which I've always been told was a terrible thing and always disliked SeaWorld for. But now it's different. Now, I'm angry and I hate SeaWorld. Granted, I never did think SeaWorld would exist in twenty of thirty years, but now I want them gone now. The film is a near perfect capture of why captivity is wrong and why not doing anything out it is wrong. I would gladly re-watch the film anytime and will show it to whoever will watch it with me. And then whoever just passes by my house, but hey, same diff. There are a few problems with pacing and some filler material, but those are largely just nitpicks. I don't think I can say anymore. The best evidence to watch Blackfish is Blackfish itself. Blackfish gets 6 stars out of 6. 

No comments:

Post a Comment