Friday, October 25, 2013

Halloween 2013: Horror in Time: "Alien"

"Come on, cat."




Everybody Heard Me Scream

      Alien is the first in the long-running Alien franchise. It was released in 1979 and is considered by many to be one of the greatest horror/sci-fi film ever made. Directed by Ridley Scott (The Counselor) and was written by Dan O'Bannon (The Return of the Living Dead) and follows the crew of the Nostromo, Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), Dallas (Tom Skerritt), Lambert (Veronica Cartwright), Brett (Harry Dean Stanton), Kane (John Hurt), Ash (Ian Holm) and Parker (Yaphet Kotto) as a rescue mission brings aboard an alien that slowly kills the crew one by one. Horror ensues. 

Gravity 1.0.

Jump Scared

      I meant to review Alien several days ago, but I just didn't want to rush it. One of the things I love about Cinema Won is that I am exposed to films I normally won't see, at least for a while. I had never seen Alien before I decided to review this week, even though I had the DVD for well over 6 months. It would have been awhile before I had seen it, which would have been a real shame. Alien is really damn good. As in, my new favorite horror film ever (Ironically replacing the movie I plan on reviewing next). As in one of the best films ever made. As in, maybe my new favorite film period. Alien truly is a masterpiece of film and horror. I can even tell you the exact spot I started to really love this movie. When Dallas is in the air vents and the alien is getting closer and closer and then Dallas turns are and the alien is RIGHT THERE.  I lost all of my shits. My arms literally put themselves into a defensive position and locked up for a few seconds. Oh, did I forget to mention that Alien is the scariest movie I've ever seen? Granted I haven't watched a ton of horror films, but man did this film make me a blubbering babyface. The film used a lot of jump scares, but the knew how to do them right. The scene would grow quiet and then suddenly, music and screeching twice as louder as the normal volume play and something jumps out and I freak the hell out. I even saw that pattern while watching this movie and I still didn't expect it.

Holy Ship

      There is just something about the atmosphere of Alien that makes you just a clastropoblic as the crew of the Nostromo. I knew a lot about the plot of Alien going in and countless films have stolen from the film. And yet, the film feels like it could have come out last week. Every scene was unpredictable and made the fear even more real. All set on the beautiful ship set. It's amazing to see how it was made. Every room looks like it has a history, like stuff has actually happened on this ship before we a given opportunity to watch. The cast is a weaker point of the film. I couldn't really tell you many of the characters' names, even though their performances were strong. But, of course, Ripley is stunningly awesome. You can actually see her grow throughout the film and Weaver proves was she is such a popular actress. And the alien itself is just so cool. The design of it is classic and it still looks far and beyond better than anything CGI can put up today. I mean, if I saw this thing coming at me, I wouldn't even try to stop it. I would probably just cry. Director Scott really captures a lonely feeling here. The pauses between the action are great and the silence helps create the film's tense, unnerving atmosphere. It all just so great. 


Should never have eaten the pea soup.

The Verdict

      I don't think I need to say that much more. Everything from the setting, the atmosphere, the alien, Ripley, the direction, the scares, the music is all perfect. It may have one or two slight hiccups, but, really, it doesn't matter. Alien is the greatest horror movie ever made. And I may very well be my new favorite film ever. So, there that. Alien gets 6 stars out of 6. 

No comments:

Post a Comment