Monday, February 25, 2013

Why Backwards Compatibility is Pointless (But Cool)

Gaming isn't exactly my bread and butter. That'd be movies, obviously, but I'm a fairly avid gamer that always has a least two playthroughs going on at one time, so when Sony announced the PlayStation 4, I figured I take a lot. But, the reveal was less than exciting  you know with Sony seeming to forget that video games are a thing. But, one thing that has stuck with me over the past week has been peoples refusal to get other the fact that the PS4 is not backward compatible with the PS3. And in all honesty, why should it be?



      Look, I'm not say the backwards compatibility is a bad thing. It would be fine if it was part of the consoles and Sony would probably make a boatload of money off of it. But as a given part of the console that should always be available? Hell no. First off, the price would be significantly more expensive then without. As someone who owns a PS3, I don't want to have to spend money so I can play games I already have for a console I already have. If you don't have the PS3, get one! I know that might sound a little douchey, but seriously, why is that not an option? I'm sure you could find a good one for less than the added price at the end of the PS4.
      I mean, if you are complaining that the PS4 won't play PS3 games and yet you won't buy a PS3? That ridiculous. And if you already have a PS3, then what's the point? You have some money that's too good for burning? If you are complaining that you can't play a PS3 game you own on the PS4, why not play it on the PS3 you must own? Does your house on'y have 2 plugs? Just unplug the PS4 and plug in the PS3. Problem solved! Have we really gotten to the point where we don't want to have to unplug ONE thing to plug in ONE other thing?
      And yes, Sony won't look great for releasing a version that was backwards compatible and a version that isn't. And if they released a console that played all four generations of PlayStation games, they'd probably have enough money to just buy the Moon already. But acting like it's their civic duty to make it backwards compatible? It's just not really that major a problem. Can't we all get behind the fact that it apparently doesn't block used games? And how that's a really, really good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment