Monday, April 9, 2012

We Need to Talk: Stop Teasing Me!

    As I had said in the first episode of this new show, I wasn't quite sure how often I would be posting episodes, but even I didn't think I'd write another one this quickly. But a current trend in movie advertising that has me fairly dumb-struck and I feel that I need to talk about it. Why, for the love of everything, do we need trailers FOR MOVIE TRAILERS?


    Most recently done for the trailers for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part II, Total Recall and just today with the upcoming Looper, these "Trailer Teases" are slowly in danger of becoming a new marketing style that would, for lack of a better word, suck. I was surprised when I learned people felt the need to have trailers for music videos, which I find to be fairly pointless, though that trend doesn't seems to have caught on real big. So the idea of movie audiences now being swarmed with 30-second trailers for 2 minutes trailers is not an idea I'm exactly on board with. Regardless of the fact that these teases show us next to nothing of the movie, they just don't seem necessary. If the full trailer is coming out "In 3 days", what is the point on spending the money to produce these short, lame teases? If there is an answer, I'm not seeing it.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment