Sunday, July 17, 2011

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II" Review

BUBBLE, BUBBLE, BIOL AND SPOILERS! THIS IS A SPOILER WARNING!

The Review: Now first off, if you're wondering why there is no Introduction part of this review, it's because, by now, you know who Harry Potter is and what this film is about, and if you don't know who Harry Potter is, then at this point, you're not going to care what it's about.
    So, now, after 10 years, 7 films and billions of dollars, the Harry Potter series draws to a close with the 8th and final film, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II. Before I get to the bad stuff let me just say, yes, this is the best of the Harry Potter series. It's a great movie and if you are a fan of the books, then it's all you could have dreamed of and so much more. But, that doesn't mean it's without it's flaws.
    The biggest flaw of the film is the fans. Not the fans of the books. No, but people, like me, who have never read a single Harry Potter book and has only watched the movies. Not that if you haven't read the books, you'll hate this movie. More, if you haven't read the books, you notice problems that book fans might not. Like how the characters romantic relashionships still don't feel right. Now, maybe I missed something, but, through the entire movie series I thought that the main couple would be Harry and Harmione. Harry's romance with his best friend's sister, Ginny, never really felt right to me. Nor did Ron and Harmione either.
    Another problem is the introduction of character that we've never met before going unexplained and the deaths of major characters happening off screen. Which leads me to my biggest problem with this film. If this is the big epic conclusion, then why does the film ignore that fact?
    Between characters dying then hardly getting another mention and major plot points going unseen (Like suddenly, Voldemort has kidnapped Hagrid. Glad we weren't even told of that fact. Doesn't really seem inportant.), the film acts as though there are still more movies to come. There's no long good-byes scene. There no "Gee, this is really the end" moment in this film. Hell, when Harry kills Voldemort, there's not even a scene of people celebrating. It just is never spoken of again.
   Not that this film doesn't have it's fair share of touching moments. The scene you'll love the most is the final tear-jerking epilouge. For me, however, it was the scene where Harry watches Snape memories, because of those "Ah, it all make sense now" moments that I personally love and it felyt as though it brought the series full circle.

The Verdict: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II is the finale fans have been waiting for. Filled with great action, acting and touching moment, it is the best Harry Potter film to date. However, due to the film's unexplained deaths and plot points and it's odd fear of acknowledging the fact that it's the end, the highest rating I can give Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II is: 5 out of 6.

4 comments:

  1. Alex, I bet you $80 you will delete this comment. What's your problem? My comments aren't inappropriate or anyhting, so it looks like you're just a pansy. If you on't want to know what I have to say, then just tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I delete comments because they do not relate directly to what the post is about. It's nothing personal, it's just I want the comments to relate to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I comment know I have read the books and I thoroughly enjoyed every movie except 1 and 2, they weren't as good for obvious reasons.

    By splitting it into 2 parts they made two great movies. The first is mainly emotional with one or two scenes of suspense, and the second is filled with their epic final battles and some minor emotional parts. The lack of "aha's" and resolution moments was intended. They really got the book perfect and had to keep those moments out because they were hard to create on the big screen.. The memories of Snape, Harry in the forest, and talking with Dumbledore are the only real explanation heavy scenes. Tear-jerkers were supposed to be learning the deaths of their friends, in particular Fred (I had to listen to more than one person cry). When Harry kills Voldemort I got that feeling like "Alright, it's over". Then, similar to the book, a few minutes later they were in a train station showing the final fates of the main characters

    What I'm trying to say is I agree with you, they didn't do such a great job on off screen occurrences. But the moments that they were lacking were there, they just didn't translate well into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, Alex's fans, I need to bring this up. I've noticed there's been a shitload of people coenting as "Anonyous", but you do know if you select Name/URL, you can be whoever you want- and don't have to fill out the URL part.

    ReplyDelete